Monday, November 5, 2012

Basic Guide to Lubricants

Sometimes, I'm minding my own business, reading a review of a silicone toy, when I see something like this: "You can use any lube with this."'

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  That's...that's not right.  You can not use ANY kind of personal lubricant with a silicone toy.  No.  Just...no.

There are basically two kinds of sexual lubricants: water based and silicone based.  You could argue that oil/petroleum based lubricants count as a third kind, but we won't get into that today.

Water Based
Water based lubricants are the ones that most people are the most familiar with.  If I say KY Jelly, most people will nod their heads and know what I'm talking about.  KY Jelly is water based.

Water based lubricant is excellent to have because it is compatible with just about any sex toy.  In fact, in the instructions of just about every sex toy I've ever had, water based lubricant was recommended.  It comes in a wide variety of thicknesses, ingredients (both natural and synthetic), and flavors.  Yes, flavors!  Some people go for this kind of lubricant because it is so widely available.  Every store with a family planning section will have at least one variety.

The downside of water based lubricants is, from my experience, you will need to reapply fairly often.

A few example brands of water based lubricants include KY Jelly and Sliquid Organics Gel.

Silicone Based
I prefer silicone to water based lubricants because it just seems to last longer.  Those that engage in mutual masturbation or anal sex find that to be a plus.

Honestly, I love how long the silicone lasts compared to water based lubricants.  However, I also greatly love silicone toys.  And guess what?  The two do not go together.  I know, it's somewhat counter-intuitive, but silicone products should be kept away from other silicone products.  They destroy each other.  That's why you can't use just any lubricant with any toy.

The downside of silicone lubricants, in addition to the fact that they can't be used with silicone toys, is that it takes a little more effort to get it off your skin/sensitive bits.  Not overly difficult, but a little harder than water based lubricants.

An example of silicone lubricant is Better Sex Essentials Silicone Lubricant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I had to get that off my chest.  In other news, I submitted my warranty claim for my We-Vibe Touch this morning and was alerted that it may be a few days before they get back to me.  When I know more, so will you.

Also coming up soon we'll be talking about oral sex and a basic guide to sex toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment