Friday, January 4, 2013

Little Things

Husband and I were sitting at the table eating dinner when he reached across me and pushed my plate back.  Why?  Because I didn't notice that it was hanging half way off the table.  Then he looked at me and gave me this wink.  His special wink that means "I got this," and "I love you!" together.

You see, I'm a grown, college educated woman with an IQ in the 140s.  In short, I'm crazy smart.  However, despite these facts, I'm also an idiot.  And clumsy.  Sometimes I'm both of those things together.  This is why Husband knows to push my plate back.  This is why Husband occasionally checks the washing machine to see if I've left anything in it.  This is why he asks if I remembered to send the water bill.

Tonight I was making a snack for us.  I pulled a plate out of the cabinet and started to walk away.  Another plate came flying out of the cabinet at me.  Like the idiot that I am, I stood there trying to put together how this happened.  Husband, sitting in the living room, just laughed.  "I got hit all the way over here!" he joked.  Thankfully, it was a plastic plate, but it was not salvageable after it's suicidal leap from the plate shelf.

That man...he knows me.  I'm not going to say that we haven't had rough times.  We have.  I think every relationship will face a bit of a crisis if you give it long enough, but that's part of the craziness of being human.  For the most part, though, he knows how to calm me down when I feel like I'm going to explode.  He knows when I just need a break.  He knows that sometimes I just need a cuddle.  He just knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment