Friday, August 24, 2012

In the Quiet Moments

I'm having one of those extremely rare occasions when I pretty much have the house to myself.  The only noises are the hum of the air conditioner and the mechanical noises of the dishwasher and washing machine.  Do you know that when I'm up late I tend to do housework?  True story.

I'm thinking about what toy to review next and when I want to post it.  And then I start thinking about sex ed, and how it is probably coming up soon at school.  Husband and I are in agreement that we'd like to be the ones to have "the talk" with with our kids and we want it done before they go to be "educated" about the birds and the bees with their giggling peers.  I mean, really, we all know there are pretty important facts missing from sex ed...like what a clitoris is.  It seems to be a part of the anatomy that's just glossed over.  Or at least that's how I remember it.  I also remember the teacher explaining that the sperm comes from the man, the egg from the woman, and when they unite, ta-da! there is new life.  I remember understanding that, but being confused on one point: exactly how does the sperm get from point A to point B?  So I asked.

I have never before or since seen a teacher turn colors and stumble over words while answering a direct question.  And yes, she did answer it, but it made her extremely uncomfortable.  I don't think it should be that way.  I mean, I've known people that as children were sure that the euphemism "sleep together" meant exactly that, and a baby could be the result.  But then again, these are my kids, and I have another few years before I have to think of them as freestanding sexual beings.  *Shudder*

But we are such amazing creatures, aren't we?  Shouldn't we know how our bodies work?

As a fun fact, you've now gotten a peek into how my mind works.  Do you see how we got from laundry to the birds and the bees?  Late night housework--->thinking about what else I need to do--->need to post on the blog--->sex--->upcoming sex ed classes.  Fun on a bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment