Monday, July 15, 2013

The Kegel Project: Pelvic Floor Fortitude!

I'm starting a new project here on the blog and it's all about Kegels!  I got the idea to have several volunteers, all doing some sort of Kegel routine, and reporting the results.  I did not want the cold, scientific way of saying, "Kegels can improve the muscles.  Kegels can improve orgasm.  Kegels can prevent prolapse," found on medical websites and in sexual health books.  Instead, I wanted to get personal experiences from real people telling me not what could happen if a person practices their Kegel exercises, but what did happen for them.  A personal account of how Kegels helped them and in what way.

Here's how it will work.  Each participant will work their Kegel (PC) muscles, but the routine, duration, frequency, and whether or not they use an exerciser or Kegel balls will be their choice.  Most likely, no two women's routines will look the same.  Each week, they'll report to me with what routines and devices (if any) they used and any changes they are seeing, and I'll post it.

The project will last somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks, depending on how it goes and how long the participants are willing to continue.  There are eight women participating, nine if you count me.  All of them have had children, some vaginally, some via c/s, some a combination of the two.  And of course, because sexuality and sexual health is still such a touchy subject in many circles and to protect privacy, they each picked an alias.  I have to say, some of them really got into picking a name.  It was delightful to watch.

And now, let's meet our participants!

Honey Ryder: 34-year-old mom of 4
Vixenish Kitty: 35-year-old mom of 4
Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock: 38-year-old mom of 5
Lollie: 31-year-old mom of 6
Pepper: 30-year-old mom of 2 (both via c/s)
Ivana Meisterkegel: 32-year-old mom of 6 (5 vaginal births)
Elasta O'Kegel: 42-year-old mom of 5 (1 miscarriage, 1 c/s, 3 vaginal births)
Sassy: 31-year-old mom of 2
And of course, me! K: 31-year-old mom of 2

So, hang around and see how our first week goes!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! This is so interesting! Finally something real! I've tried Kegel for a while but didn't feel any other differences except a vagina that's a little bit tighter. Looking forward to the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really love to see someone in there who hasn't given birth. I'm a young woman who has yet to have children, and I'd like to see the results from someone similar to me. I feel like I'm not as toned as I used to be, and I'm curious about how helpful kegels really are for someone who hasn't had kids yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that, but the group I pulled from happened to all be parents. One of them has not had a vaginal birth. Does that help?

      Delete